POSTED: June 22 2016 00:25:47. By David Walker - Below Strength Beechy Suffer 5-3 Defeat

Beechfield United’s impressive two match unbeaten run ended following a 5-3 defeat at Hollinwood FC. Once again Beechy had to make team changes due to various reasons and they found themselves a goal down in less than ninety seconds. This Manchester Football League Division 1 match was played on an old style Astroturf Pitch and United were always second-best throughout the first half. Hollinwood’s long ball tactic caused all-sorts of problems for United’s makeshift defensive quartet of Andrzej Browne, Mike Rogerson, Patrick Beckett and Carl Ravenscrioft. In the 10th minute the ball was launched deep into United’s half and using his pace the Hollinwood No10 easily won possession and delivered an accurate low cross for a teammate to put the home 2-0 up. Beechy worked hard to retain possession and with Man of the Match Steven Erskine producing an outstanding display in midfield United had a few decent chances to reduce the arrears but on 25 minutes United suffered a further setback when Hollinwood added their third goal. The Hollinwood keeper was rarely involved but he needed to be alert making a smart save to keep out an effort from Jamie Sinnott then a few minutes later Beechy were awarded a penalty for a blatant foul on Alex Hunter and Dave Leach easily converted the spot-kick. Needing an improved performance Beechy began the second half defending deep in their own half and Mike Rogerson was a key figure in an overworked back four. Gradually United put more pressure on their opponents as they played with a renewed confidence and scored a thoroughly deserved second goal after 54 minutes. Creating a mazy run was Jamie Sinnott who combined with Alex Hunter and he set-up Gareth Mooney who’s last appearance for United was in April 2013 and he supplied a first-class finish when he hammered the ball into the roof of the net. The fast action continually switched swiftly from end to end with both keepers regularly in action and United equalised in the 71st minute. Via a superbly timed tackle Patrick Beckett won possession and was initially involved in the move that resulted in Jamie Sinnott superbly beating three opponents before firing the ball past the keeper. As both teams competed fiercely for the ball the referee was kept busy dealing with a few off the ball incidents. United had chances to snatch a possible winning goal but it was Hollinwood who secured victory with two late goals against the run of play.

home | about | contact |

Copyright (c) The official website for Beechfield United | All Rights Reserved |                                                 web design by w miller