POSTED: January 23 2016 10:31:58. By David Walker - Second Successive Last Minute Win For United

Beechfield United were back in action following the Christmas and New Year break and for the second time in successive FBT Manchester League Division 1 fixtures United secured victory thanks to last minute winning goal. Away to Westbury Sports Club on a 3G Astroturf Pitch a below strength United outfit led 3-1 at one stage but Westbury fought back and made it 3-3 in the 83rd minute. There was a lively start to the contest and in the opening few minutes Luke Johnston produced three fine headed clearances when Westbury used the long ball option. Beechy won the game’s first corner and after Westbury failed to clear the ball out of the danger zone it was controlled by Jamie Sinnott who forced a smart save from the home teams keeper then at the end of another stylish counter-attack a superb effort by Chris Ferris hit the post. Evan Jeffries was heavily involved producing several jinking runs down the left flank but overall Beechy were required to do some vital defending after being forced into a back four reshuffle. Westbury’s No9 who was probably their best player continually showed good movement off the ball and he was involved when the home side took the lead in the 27th minute. Guilty of wasting possession far too easily United could have been 3-0 down before they found an equaliser after 37 minutes. A move developed down the right wing and after skilfully beating two opponents Jamie Sinnott saw his powerful low drive rebound back into play off the post but Rob Lockley was in the right place to slot the ball into the net from close range. Early in the second half Beechy found a better rhythm and a cleverly disguised pass by Steve Erskine set-up Alex Hunter but he fired the ball wide of the target then at the end of United’s next attack Chris Ferris was denied a goal by the keepers fingertips. On 49 minutes following a corner Man of the Match Mike Leach put United 2-1 up courtesy of a top-class finish and six minutes later Beechy added their third goal when Mike Leach produced another brilliant finish when he volleyed the ball into the corner of the net from just outside the area. A claim for a penalty by Westbury was denied but United continued to carve out the better chances and a classic move involving Chris Ferris, Mike Leach, Andrzej Browne and substitute Alan McNally ended with Alex Hunter heading the ball over the crossbar. There was some great defending from Andrzej Browne and Carl Ravenscroft when Westbury stepped up a gear and United were suddenly under pressure as the home side produced some first-class counter attacking football. A breakaway move in the 76th minute resulted in Westbury reducing the arrears but their equalising goal that came seven minutes later should have been disallowed following a clear foul on United keeper Rob Harrison. Both teams continued to compete fiercely for possession and a draw looked an obvious result but in the 91st minute Alex Hunter was fouled outside the area and a brilliantly executed free kick by Jamie Sinnott earned Beechy a dramatic win and three valuable points.

home | about | contact |

Copyright (c) The official website for Beechfield United | All Rights Reserved |                                                 web design by w miller